Friday, May 2, 2014

Day 15 Asheville here I come

After barely sleeping and coughing all night (three of us coughed quite a bit actually) I was thankful to get out of the moldy Budget Inn. I seriously contemplated sleeping on the pavement last night. Oh the things you are reduced to or willing to do. If Fall wasn't so sound a sleep I might have asked him if I could sleep on his hammock outside. This room was much worse than the room we had the first night. It was filled with that stale smoke smell and the mold in the bathroom shower was no joke. I always wear my cocs in the showers at these places. Talk about jumping out of your comfort zone, I usually such a germaphobic person. So over it now. Just still careful but this trip has been great to actually help loosen me up. I am so much more laid back already. Hiking seems to show you how small you are in the world and it allows you to stop trying to control so much in your life and helps you learn to go with the flow. Or at least for me it has. It is amazing to me how much I have changed how I view things in just two weeks. I can understand now the transformation that occurs when you are out here, wish I could continue down this journey right now, but it will have to wait.

Up and said my goodbyes to Sasquatch and Admiral Caboose, I will miss them, two great guys from California. I seem to be in a group of people from Cali. I used to live there once upon a time when I was a kid and was planning a visit this year, now it looks like I will have more friends to see.

Fall and Oats wanted to come with me, so first we headed off for breakfast and some coffee, I just needed to be out of that room for a while. Felt much better once I was, so we just sat at the local McDonald's and put our feet up had some coffee and talked to other hikers. I caught up with the Godfather here and Die Hard. Also, a local who was out last night, he offerred us a place to stay and a ride if we needed one. Another kind gesture, but we were fine and going to just walk up to the Outdoor 76. At most it was only a mile, which is a skip in the park now. We also grabbed a few things from the Dollar General. I wanted something to snack on and food for the trip home tomorrow. I am getting good at saving on food by shopping here. Another change. I am a lot less picky.

We go to Outdoor 76 and I met a bunch of hikers I haven't seen in a few days. It is great to see those familiar faces. I saw Ashley and Corey and we caught up. I also saw a lot of faces from the Top of the Georgia Hostel. I can't remember all their names but it was good to see them too. We went to grab a beer while I waited for Corey  was going to drive me to Asheville to a car rental company out of his way free of charge, this is an hours drive. I LOVE LOVE this place. Please if you hike or go to Franklin, pay them a visit. While enjoying some conversation I looked and realized that Tricks and Aquaman were in the bar too. I was so happy to meet them, Tricks and I have been following and communicating via Instagram and FB. It was good to meet her before I was off trail for a bit. Then Corey came and got me and it was time to go. Fall walked me out, gave me a big hug and kiss, spun me around and we were off. Farewell Franklin it was fun!

Corey and I chatted a lot of business and personal things. The trip went fast, he is a great guy and thanks again man if you are reading this for helping me out, it was a pleasure.

I pick up my rent and on to a hotel somewhere in Asheville, I can't find a hotel I am comfortable in alone before I realize I am not on the better side of town, I quickly find one on priceline and ah.. much better. This place is like a resort compared to the Budget, just what I needed. I had a long bath and relaxed and enjoyed my cozy cushy bed and of course a coke. :)

Another great day! Life is good!



1 comment:

  1. Those Outdoor 76 cats are amazing!! We loved every second of being there! Missing the beers about now. Sigh.. Could sure go for one. Hopefully we'll get to catch up on the trail sometime!!

    ReplyDelete